.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Drexel CoAS E-Learning Subscribe with Bloglines Drexel CoAS E-Learning Podcast

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Going to Science Foo Camp

I just got an invitation to attend Science Foo Camp in August 07, a unique meeting organized by Nature, O'Reilly and Google. Based on what I heard from last year's attendees this will be an amazing opportunity to bounce ideas around.

I'd like to hear more from others who are going or who attended last year.
As before, we will be inviting around 200 people who are doing particularly interesting work in a wide range of scientific disciplines, as well as in areas of technology and culture that influence, and are influenced by, science. The aim is to encourage cross-fertilization of ideas, creating a unique opportunity to explore topics that transcend traditional boundaries. Of course, senior colleagues from Nature, O'Reilly, and Google will also be present.

4 Comments:

  • Congratulations!!! It should be fun. Given your efforts, it would be a shock if you weren't invited.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:24 PM  

  • Check out the Foo Camp interpretation of the Chatham House Rule. I believe they interpret it to mean that you can't talk about anything you hear there without permission from whoever you heard it from. I hope I'm wrong -- that certainly seems different from the spirit of the actual Rule -- but I've seen a number of Foo Camp attendees make comments that point to the overly strict interpretation.

    By Blogger Bill Hooker, at 3:06 PM  

  • The rule seems to indicate that you can talk about ideas brought up at the conference without attribution. This is different from other kinds of prohibitions, like at Gordon conferences, where openness is encouraged by preventing the ideas from being discussed outside the conference.

    By Blogger Jean-Claude Bradley, at 3:23 PM  

  • That was my interpretation as well, I think you can discuss the ideas and topics without quoting the source.
    I really enjoyed it last year :) and I am sure you will have fun too. There were many parallel sessions going on so I think it was very different for everyone. Let us know how it goes.

    By Blogger Pedro Beltrao, at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License