.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Drexel CoAS E-Learning Subscribe with Bloglines Drexel CoAS E-Learning Podcast

Saturday, July 02, 2005

NECC report

Here are some thoughts on the NECC (National Educational Computation Conference) in Philly this week.

The presentation I enjoyed the most was Dave Warlick's session on podcasting. It had a very hands-on/how-to focus, which I like because I can learn something useful. He defined some terms at the start, clarified some misconceptions and demonstrated how to record a podcast. At the end he showed how to combine audio tracks with voice and music to create a powerful intro to the podcast. I generally get annoyed when I hear music at the start of a podcast because most people leave it on way too long. Dave's example was fine at about 10 seconds. The audience seemed to be very interested in the details of what to do next for their own projects so I think it was a very effective session.

I also saw a nice presentation of digital storytelling by Helen Barrett. This was the first time I experienced what a digital story can be really be. It just draws you in. These are basically collections of pictures with voice over but the way the pictures were constantly in motion was very absorbing. Lots to think about there for future use.

In the poster sessions I spent most of my time talking with people about blogs and games. I attended a few talks about games and simulations. Most of these involved simulations, storylines and virtual meeting places. I was looking for something more in line with leveraging the addictive potential of rapid play in first person shooters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License