.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Drexel CoAS E-Learning Subscribe with Bloglines Drexel CoAS E-Learning Podcast

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Camtasia 2.0 Flash Problems with Firefox and Macs

Something strange has been happening this term with students trying to access my recorded lectures in Flash format (e.g. CHEM241). At first it was Mac users, which was surprising because I know that there was not a problem for at least a year before that. Then I noticed that I could no longer access Flash recordings using Firefox.

Since I also offer my lectures in m4v format viewable in iTunes or with a Quicktime player, Mac users could still get access to the video content. Also the Firefox problem does not show up on Internet Explorer. Once again, here is an example where taking the time to build in a redundancy really pays off. But it is still annoying for everybody.

I asked Tim Jones, the webmaster for our CoAS server, to look into the issue and he found that the problem could be fixed by making a file location explicit. For example, for this lecture,
flashvars ="FA06CHEM241intro_config.xml"
is changed to
flashvars ="csConfigFile=FA06CHEM241intro_media/FA06CHEM241intro_config.xml"
Tim will have to write a script to fix all the affected files this weekend. Given Camtasia's popularity, I imagine a lot of people will be impacted by this. The problem seems to be limited to Camtasia 2. According to Kevin Owens, the Flash files produced by Camtasia 3 (and presumably 4) work fine on Macs. I think the Firefox on PC issue only popped up recently so I assume it is related to the Firefox 2 upgrade.

4 Comments:

  • Hi Jean-Claude,

    Could we have tech support contact you to see what's going on?

    Hope you're doing well!

    Betsy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 AM  

  • Betsy,
    Troy emailed me saying it was a known issue for Camtasia 2, which is fixed in versions 3 and 4.

    By Blogger Jean-Claude Bradley, at 4:11 AM  

  • Thanks for posting this- I recently bought something made with Camtasia 2 and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work in Firefox... your advice showed me how to fix the files.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

  • This is not fixed in 3.0.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.5 License